Safety & Cleaning
General Use Tips
- Zebra Mats are intended for use in the martial arts. The martial arts are sports that can cause injury regardless of the mats participants use.
- Martial arts activity may require a high level of physical conditioning. Before engaging in any exercise or training program in this area, consult your physician to determine your fitness level.
- If you are injured, ill or tired, do not exercise or train in the martial arts. If you engage in martial arts activity at this time, you may risk serious injury, disability, or even death. In this event, you assume all risk of injury.
- Zebra Mats are flooring systems designed to be used for general martial arts. They are not designed for use with weapons or other equipment. If you engage in nonmartial arts activities on the mats, you assume all risk of injury.
- When installing Zebra mats, frame them to ensure that no slippage will occur.
- Zebra mats are designed to be laid on a flat floor surface. They are NOT intended for use on carpets. Using the mats on carpet may result in user injury due to mat slippage.
- Be prepared to experience some temporary surface slickness when you first use new Zebra mats.
- Foam products such as sports mats are susceptible to minor expansion and contraction with temperature change. Zebra mats could slightly expand when the temperature is warm and contract when it is cold. Be aware of temperature fluctuations in your workout area and adjust the mats accordingly.
- Zebra mats are designed to be used in dry conditions. Moisture or oil on the mats could increase the risk of slippage and injury.
- Dirt and dust buildup could cause mat slipperiness. Follow our Zebra Mat Care and Maintenance guidelines to ensure that your mats remain clean at all times.
Zebra Mat Care and Maintenance
- To clean your Zebra Mats, use a small amount of mild detergent or degreaser (Zebra Mats Cleaner) in warm water. Use a mop or rag to scrub. Do not over saturate as water can collect between the mats. Repeat with clean water to remove soap film.
- To clean excessive dirt off mats with anti-skid on the bottom, use a brush. Rinse by hosing down. We recommend that you do this at least once a year.
- Neatly stack Zebra mats for storage. Leaning them on their sides can cause warping. Always use two people to move the mats, making sure not to bend or bow the mats. This can cause damage to the mat.